We all know and love enjoying coffee hour together after church. (Click here and here for recent evidence of how much we at The Lutheran Ladies’ Lounge love this venerable Lutheran tradition.) But how much do you know about the connection between coffee and Christianity? Test yourself with the latest round of Rachel’s Trivia Challenge—all about coffee!
Which religious group pioneered the brewing and drinking of coffee? What was Pope Clement VIII’s reaction to his first sip of the stuff? Which 90s Christian rock band penned an ode to “good coffee, strong coffee”? And, perhaps most importantly, did Martin Luther drink coffee???
To learn more about this fascinating subject, check out the following resources:
- “A Reformation History of Coffee” (Rev. Chris Gillespie/Coffee by Gillespie)
- “Father, Son, and Holy Roast: How Coffee Became Christians’ Acceptable Vice” (Washington Post)
- “Coffee: The Beverage That Fuels the Church” (Christianity Today)
- “The Sipping Sacrament” (BeliefNet)
- “The Beloved Church Coffee Hour May Soon Return as COVID-19 Fades” (Religion News Service)
- Holy Grounds: The Surprising Connection between Coffee and Faith by Tim Schenck
- “What Churchgoers Missed Most about In-Person Services” (Barna Group)
Connect with the Lutheran Ladies on social media in The Lutheran Ladies’ Lounge Facebook discussion group (facebook.com/groups/LutheranLadiesLounge) and on Instagram @lutheranladieslounge. Follow Sarah (@hymnnerd), Rachel (@rachbomberger), Erin (@erinaltered), and Bri (@grrrzevske) on Instagram!
The Lutheran Ladies Lounge is the podcast produced by KFUO Radio and hosted by Sarah Gulseth, Erin Alter, Rachel Bomberger, and Bri Gerzevske. Created for Lutheran ladies to have a place to escape to with inviting conversations, laughter, and fellowship with Lutheran sisters, we invite all of you Lutheran ladies to join Sarah, Erin, Rachel, and Bri on the sofa in the Lutheran Ladies Lounge to sit, rest your feet, and stay a while. If you’re a Lutheran lady, join us in our Facebook group: facebook.com/groups/LutheranLadiesLounge.