In today’s News:
Lutheran Witness more visible
For almost 140 years, The Lutheran Witness (LW) has served the church and proclaimed the Gospel by publishing theological essays and reflections that interpret “the contemporary world from a Lutheran perspective.” Now, LW seeks to continue this mission by refreshing and expanding its web presence with its own website, witness.lcms.org. Online LW content was previously housed at the Reporter site, where it was less visible and harder to find. Now, with its own domain name, the refreshed LW site is more user-friendly and accessible. The updated site will continue to provide all the same content that was housed under the old domain name.
California city cracks down on worship
Yesterday, Harvest Rock Church received a letter from California’s city of Pasadena’s code compliance officer demanding that in-person worship services cease. The letter states that the city of Pasadena will continue to enforce the governor’s orders, “Until the present emergency ends. Today, Liberty Counsel appears in the federal district court regarding Harvest Rock Church and Harvest International Ministry’s request for a preliminary injunction against Gov. Gavin Newsom’s covid-19 orders. The governor’s orders prohibit all in-person worship, including home Bible studies and fellowship. This ban applies to about 80 percent of the state’s population. In the remaining 20 percent, limited in-person worship is permitted but no singing and chanting.
California county declares itself sanctuary for worship
San Luis Obispo County, located in central California, has become a sanctuary county for churches struggling to cope state restrictions on worship gatherings. San Luis Obispo County District Attorney Dan Dow confirmed late last month he will not prosecute churches for holding worship services or for singing in church, which was deemed unlawful by an order from California Gov. Gavin Newsom. More than 30 counties in California are not allowed to gather for church services, according to Newsom’s order that places even greater restrictions on counties included in the state’s covid-19 watch list. Gatherings of 10 people or more in households in those counties are also banned, essentially prohibiting some in-home Bible study gatherings. Whether a church can legally gather or not, singing during worship is disallowed under Newsom’s order.
Democratic nominees go full pro-abortion
Presumptive Democrat presidential nominee Joe Biden yesterday announced that Sen. Kamala Harris Of California would be his vice-presidential running mate. By picking Harris, Joe Biden has reaffirmed his commitment to abortion on demand at any time for any reason and paid for by taxpayers. As a U.S. Senator, Kamala Harris has a 0 percent rating from the National Right to Life Committee. By contrast, Harris earned her a 100 percent rating from NARAL Pro-Choice America.